This war is noise.

The worst day ever.
March 6, 2014, 4:33 am
Filed under: Uncategorized


It started like a normal day.

The work on the bathroom got mostly finished, ready for the plumber to do the last of his job.

We went shopping a little late because of when he left.

I noticed pancake mix for tuesday, and got some, and decided we should get one of the new pans you can only get in certain shops.

So instead of going home at the normal time we would, to visit my grandparents, and give them their shopping and such, we went into town to get the pan.

While doing that, we come across my cousin, also out in that particular shop with her daughter.

We walk half around the shop as we don’t get there very often, then mum walks up to me and says “we have to go, [my cousin] just came back in and said your Granda has been ringing round trying to get a hold of us all, he thinks your Nanny’s dead”.

So we rush through paying for whatever we have in the bag I’m carrying, we rush to the house.

The drive there seemed so long and short all at the same time, and in my head I knew he wouldn’t just think that. Its not something you’re going to make a mistake over, though I was trying to fight back the thought all the same.

Mum went in first, then my brother, and he looked in, then looked at me in the doorway, while I heard what I thought was a minister saying out her full name in the bedroom, and the shock I felt was the worst thing I’ve ever felt. I ran back to the car and broke down, shaking with pins and needles in my arms, hyperventilating a bit too.

I dont know how long I was there, but it wasn’t too long. I got back out and went over to my brother who had come outside fairly shortly after me. Talking to him, trying to calm myself enough so I could go in and not just repeat what I did before.

Mum came out and asked was I not going in to see her, and I wasnt sure if I was, because the one glimpse I had of my dad dead still haunts my mind and would appear when talking about him at all, or other people doing it.

But I knew I had to. After all, we were supposed to have been there, and I wanted to see her. I hadn’t seen her since Saturday, and I always do see her on a Monday after we do the shopping.

Its mysterious how life works, how we all happened to be nowhere near when it happened, when normally we would have.

I went in slowly and looked into the bedroom, and there she was, sort of sat up in the bed, with her eyes shut, her mouth opened slightly, her skin a little discoloured and not moving.

It didnt seem real.

The doctor came soon after, said she couldn’t have passed more than an hour ago because she was still warm.

Then trying to be there for my poor Granda, who’s breaking his heart while all of it is going on, and the things hes saying would destroy your soul. “Well I’ll have to get used to being lonely, because I’ll be lonely for the rest of my life.”

I stayed close by the room most of the evening, only really going when leaving to pick up my great aunt so she could see her, as that was her last living sister, and then when the undertakers arrived.

It all happened so quick.

And then all the frantic preparation so Granda could actually sleep that night occurred.

We got home close to midnight. I dont think I slept til close to 3am. I’ve always thought more and cried – if I needed to – at night.


Family and close friends have all mostly found out now.

Its all organisation and people coming to visit.

Nanny will be coming back to the house tomorrow.

My Granda is still so sad. My cousin offered to bring in washing from the dryer, which had some of my Nanny’s clothes in it, and he said no he’d do it as “it might be the last thing he ever does for her”. He then stood over the bed folding the clothes for 10 minutes crying.

My Uncle is coming from England in the evening and him and his wife – the we certainly wish was not coming – are staying with Granda tonight, to let my Uncle that stayed the last night go home and get a proper nights rest.

We got my great aunt there and back again today also.

We weren’t there super late into the night, but mum was.

My Granda is kinda looking to her and my aunt to get him through and sort everything.

I managed to get talking to Charlotte, and was glad to do so, since it gathered my thoughts a little. Told Clare too.

I still had a similar night to the one before though.


Today is the day they bring her back to the house.

Second night/third day of barely any sleep, getting upset and being generally drained.

Watching my Granda trying to help them manoeuvre the coffin into the small bedroom just so he could be involved was incredibly sad.

Lots of my family were around, when my aunt, uncles and Granda went to check to see how they felt about the coffin and such, they said she looked alot better than when we found her that night.

Looked more like herself, took years off.

And because of the experience with my dad, I figured this would be fairly accurate, as when I saw my dad in his coffin, for a slight glimpse, it gave me fairly insane anxiety, as he didnt really look dead to me, he looked asleep, and not as ill.

When it was finally turn for my brother and me to go in to see her, Tina had just come out, and was very upset, it turned out she would not be still there when we’d come back out. With a combination of not being good in those situations and her feeling guilty, it was a little too much.

When we went in, my cousin was there, and although I generally dont get upset in public, this was very different. When I seen her, I just couldnt be not upset. When she seen me start to cry she told me to come up closer to see better, which I suppose made it better and worse. Seeing the lace and all that over her normal clothes. Her eyelids looked more slightly fastened than resting. She died with no teeth in so they didnt have them for to set her face naturally, and whatever they put in, kinda left her looking like she had just taken a breath in and was holding it or something, which also set off the line of her nose a little. However her skin and such looked better and she did look more herself than that night for sure.

I did not see a change in years though. She was still small and frail compared to even 3 or 4 years ago. Still had no perm in her hair. Still lost so much weight.

As I stood, I managed to touch the edge of the coffin, but I just couldn’t have touched her herself. I dont think thats something I ever want to know what it feels like.

Before taking my great aunt back home, I asked her if she wanted to go see Nanny again before leaving, and she did. She’d previously got rather upset that day as she had mentioned when shes at home by herself, closing her eyes and being able to see her face how we found her, and it staying with her. I totally knew what she meant, and Im thankful that isnt sticking with me the same now. I go between that image, the coffin image, and then my childhood images, emerging photographs, personal memories of days, weeks, months, years.

I followed her to the room and stood near the door, and watching her lean close over her and stroke her hair/forehead a little, just like she might be sleeping, her little sister, it again would break your heart.

We then took her home, taking her shopping on the way as with everyone being so busy organising, alot of basic normal tasks had to be either put on hold, or were forgotten about entirely.

I visited again that night. We were there for my uncle and his wife coming from England, though I wasn’t paying so much attention to that. I was kinda angry he brought his wife, because she was not respectful to my Nanny in life, so her being involved at this super sensitive time for me was entirely wrong and unwanted.

I wanted to visit, either with my brother or on my own as much as possible when I could get a quiet minute in the room. Not so much that it was morbid or more upsetting to do so, but I wanted to make sure it felt okay. That by Friday, I wasn’t regretting visiting more before she’d be buried and truly gone.


Today the rest of my relatives are arriving today, so I planned on having a little more space.

I of course visited, as I wanted to see Nanny again, and knew that it was likely to be the last day I could, as Friday was going to be the funeral and I didnt want to be relying on there being a spare minute to get a last visit in that made me feel at peace with her going. But at the same time, when there are alot of relatives I dont normally see all around, it does give me anxiety so I knew I’d be spending less time being there in general, especially since my Granda now had more of his family there to be around and help.

I arranged my counselling for next week instead. We sorted the arrangements for the refreshments in the church hall after the service. I’ve pretty much sorted out what Im wearing tomorrow in my mind. Might be a slight alteration to it, but it’ll be fine.

Im having a lot of pain in general with the late upset nights, the early mornings regardless, and the awkward bathroom situation still. The small bathroom just isn’t good enough, and long term, this being the 4th week I think, I need more than just a standing shower. With my back pain I need baths and space and relaxation, especially in times of stress or I get worse. So that end is fairly frustrating.

Im definitely nervous about tomorrow. Not in the same way with dad, as I was nervous about having to deal with how everyone else is feeling and how they expect me to feel. Im just nervous about everything going well and being the best it can be for my Granda.

Me and my brother are going to be mostly responsible for him, and since Im going to a church I’ve never been to, though its at most 10 minutes up the road, the unfamiliar definitely adds to the anxiety.

Also the sadness. The knowing that tomorrow is the last day she’ll be with us.

I had a minute by myself with her before going out to the car.

I already miss Nanny more than I thought I’d miss anyone.

Its hard that such a big part of my already small world has gone.

Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: